Tuesday, July 21, 2009

the tomato collection - part one

Two days ago the first of the heirloom tomatoes were ready.....the gorgeous Turkish Striped Monastery which is said to have been collected at a monastery in Istanbul, Turkey. I discovered it at Tomatomania this year and since I have an affinity for most things Turkish, I snapped it up. It's purchase was determined by it's name and it's name alone since there weren't many details listed on the label. It is on the smaller side (approximately one and a half inches in diameter), full flavored with the perfect amount of acid. I will definitely be saving it's seeds for future plantings.

I've decided that as the various heirlooms ripen, I'll document and post details about each of them. This will help me remember what I've planted and hopefully serve as a planting guide for others.

And then when the plants are laden with fruit, I'll plan a tomato tasting party.

No comments:

Post a Comment