Thursday, July 23, 2009

the chiquita

A hybrid snuck in....the Chiquita, a one-inch grape tomato with translucent skin. I didn't realize a hybrid was lurking in the bunch until I started researching this varietal. Darn.

It is a determinate tomato which means all of it's fruit ripen within a short period of time and it tends to stop growing once it reaches a certain height, which is good for smaller spaces.

I was hoping when I popped it in my mouth there would be an explosion of sweetness. No such luck. C'mon if plant breeders are tinkering by cross breeding compatible plants, I expect a spectacular tomato. Instead, it lacks flavor so even if the seeds could be saved (hybrid seeds typically can't be saved because they don't produce plants with identical qualities), I wouldn't bother. Seeds must be open pollinated to be saved which means they are capable of producing seedlings just like the parent plant.

Perhaps roasting these with herbs will be more inspiring.

2 comments:

  1. Wow this fruit is new to me i find it vey yummy yummy after viewing the photograph

    Saavi

    Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am am 99% heirloom grower with one exception... The Sweet 100's Tomato. It produces a compari sized tomato with amazing sweet/tartness. Everyone raves about them and they produce so well I give pounds away to friends and neighbors. I love my heirloom tomatoes and grow several but in amoung them will always be a couple of the "others"...

    ReplyDelete