Sunday, August 23, 2009

baby lemon bundts
























Even when the majority of my week was spent whirring creamy cauliflower soup in the Vita-mix or searing juicy pork burgers for my clients, on weekends I find a sense of calm when I'm in the kitchen baking.

I love watching the flour fall in white heaps on the parchment as I drag my knife across the top of the measuring cups or the grains of sugar that disperse on the cutting board and sparkle as they catch the light. And I love peeking through the oven window to behold the magic of baking powder as it elevates the treats inside to new heights.

This weekend I experimented with the cast aluminum baby bundt pan I recently purchased from Surfas (a local restaurant supply store chock full of interesting food and kitchen items). With an abundance of garden lemons on hand, I decided a lemon bundt cake recipe was the ticket. The result were these wonderful little cakes. I'm not done experimenting though...they need a slightly brighter more lemony flavor. And while the organic powdered sugar does work for icing, it's not that beautiful snowy white color that stands out against the golden cake crumb. Another try and I think I'll be able to share the recipe. Until then, have a sweet day!

1 comment: